Sunday, November 21, 2010

I'm gonna do it!

I'm going to Germany! Yep, I made the decision to finally take the trip of a lifetime. I should've started this blog when I first decided, so I'm going to try and recap how we got to where we are now. 

It all started back in September when I got an AAA magazine in the mail and saw an advertisement for a river cruise down the Rhine River. For some reason it grabbed my attention and I started reading about the river cruises in Germany. It seemed to be a great way to see the country without having to pack and unpack every day on a land tour. 
Uniworld's River Countess
Maximum # passengers - 134!!

My niece Jenny and I had talked many times about traveling to Germany so I asked my sister if Jenny could come with me, but that didn't work out. I tried my best to convince my husband Michael to go, but he wasn't interested. So it seemed, I would either give up on my dream, or go it alone! I started researching river cruises and found a few great message board sites with tons of information. I read and re-read all the posts and found that it is not uncommon to find solo cruisers on these ships, and that it seemed to be a fairly safe way for someone to see the country alone. So I decided to go ahead and go it alone. 

So I found a cruise that embarks from Nuremberg, which is reasonably close to the part of Germany where my ancestors lived. I decided to go a week early and spend some time researching and visiting the towns and villages where they lived, then ride the famous German Rail to Nuremberg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment